Downloading IIS7 Manager to Vista needs IIS Management Console - Help required

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Charlie, Mar 23, 2010.

1. I tried to download IIS7 Manager and when I ran the install an alert box popped up saying that :-

The IIS Management Console is not installed, but it is required for managing remote IIS servers. Please install it before installing IIS7 Manager. Do this by going to -
    Control Panel / Turn windows features on and off and then select the IIS Management Console in the Inet . . . .

The alert box text ends with the dots so I am unsure of how to procede.

At a guess I did the following:

Control panel / programs and features / Internet Information services / Web Management Tools / ( there is no sign of anything with IIS7 )
    IIS6 Management Compatability - I turned check box blue by clicking on it. Then waited for quite a while while the features were configured.

Then went back to the download but it still gave me the same alert box message.

The initial alert box text runs out before it is finished. Does anyone know
    how to complete the following sentence in order to install the The IIS Management Console in Vista x 86:

Control Panel / Turn windows features on and off and then select the IIS Management Console in the Inet . . . . . . . .

No major hurry but any help appreciated.

2. Ray

Ray

There's actually two parts to this that gets people confused. On Windows XP you can simply download the IIS 7 Manager and use it to connect remotely to a IIS 7 server. With Vista and Windows 7 there are two steps that tend to confuse people. First you need to enable IIS 7 on your Vista computer. You do this in the Control Panel. Try looking at this link for instructions on how to achieve this.

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/28/install-iis-7-on-windows-vista-and-windows-7/

After you enabled IIS 7 on your Vista computer, you will still need to download IIS 7 Manager from Microsoft and install it. Without it you will not be able to go to File/Connect to Site on your IIS 7.