Deploying an ASP.NET application

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Rcorrie90, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Hi there, I'm new to working with ASP.NET and am having a hard time getting my application to run on my server. You can visit my website here:

tcgdirec.w01.Winhost.com

As you can see I'm getting all kinds of errors, I'm more familiar with PHP, where the errors actually tell you what the problem is, but I can't understand what this means.

What I've done so far is just uploaded my site up to the server, and that's it. I have two databases but don't know what to do with them. If anybody could just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!:D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. You need to modify the connection string to reference the live database on your site because right now it is calling on your local database(server)

3. Thanks for the reply! I'm confused wether I have direct it to a database created through the Winhost cpanel, or direct them to then.MDF files in app_data.

for example, here is the datasource:

Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\TheCo-OpetitionGroupSQL2005.mdf;

Would I just rewrite the path to:

Data Source=/App_Data/TheCo-OpetitionGroupSQL2005.mdf;

This doesn't seem to work so I'm sure this isn't the right way.

4. You have to direct it to the database you use for that application.

Scenario 1
    if you develop the application on SQL express in your lcoal development then create a real SQL database in Winhost control panel first 'import' your SQL express to the SQL database in server

When you create a database in the server, you should be assigned a connection string for the database.

Overwrite your current connection string in the web.config or any other pages that calls on your local database to the connection string for the live database.

Scenario 2
    Upload all the .dll files from your local to the bin folder on your site,you might still be able to use SQL express without converting it/restore it to real SQL DB. Need some modifications on the connection string though