Deploing web project to WinHost servers

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Mikhail, Dec 2, 2009.

1. My Silverlight application solution has two projects - web project and client. To publish to the local host I just right click on web project then select command Publish. How I can deploy it to Winhost server?
    According http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a483/how-to-deploy-visual-studio-20082005-visual-web-developer.aspx :
    Where is command web site ? I don't see it in Visual Studio 2008 Pro.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

The "Copy Web Site" should be under the Website menu bar. If you don't see it, there should be a triangle at the bottom of the menu. click on it and it should open up revealing "Copy Web Site..." and "ASP.Net Configuration". I don't think you want to use the Publish method. This will look for FrontPage Server Extensions which is not installed on the servers.

3. The Website menu bar is not exist for all projects. For example, in VS 2008 select File, then New, then Project. New Project dialog opens. Select Silverlight for Project Types then select Silverlight Application from Installed Templates. Click OK. New Silverlight Application dialog opens.
    Checkbox Host Silverlight application in a new web site should be checked.
    Combo box New web project type has 2 options:
    ASP.NET web application project
    and
    ASP.NET Web site

Both options will generate two projects in the solution. But:
    For the second option you can find Web Site menu bar if select web project.
    For the first option you will never see Web Site menu bar.

This site recommend use first option. In fact I don't have menu bar Web Site in my VS2008 solution.
    Is there other way copy files to my web site?

4. Ray

Ray

Thats odd I just opened by VS 2008 and choose New Prject/Silverlight and I was able to go to the menus up on the top of VS 2008, click on Website and choose "Copy Web Site". If you choose Build you get a Publish Web Site option. Do you have a screen shot of what you are seeing?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Here is a screen shot

[​IMG]

But, if I will use ASP.NET Web Site option, then I have Web Site menu bar as well as in the context menu.

6. Ray

Ray

Your VS is still focused on the project 'SilverlightApplication1'. That is why you do not see the 'Website' option in your top left corner that is next to 'File', 'Edit', 'Build'......

Double click on any of the web files on 'SilverlightApplication1.web' project and once it is opened in the Object Browser window, the menus on the top will change and you will see a menu 'Website'.

7. Ray, on the my picture you can see - context menu is opened for the file SilverlightApplication1.web. Means - I right click this file. Is it still not focus?
    Opening any other files from SilverlightApplication1.web project did not makes Website menu available.
    Let me illustrate it:

Let start brand new project:

[​IMG]

Select type as SilverLight application:

[​IMG]

Select type as ASP.NET Web Application Project - this is important.

[​IMG]

Now I can open *.aspx file or *.html file or any file from project *.web - it will not show me Website menu.

[​IMG]

Let start other project. And select type as Silverlight application (the same), but in the second dialog select type as ASP.NET Web site.

[​IMG]

Now VS show me WebSite menu as well as Copy web site in the context menu.

[​IMG]

The problem is - my project must be ASP.NET Web Application Project. That is what Silverlight site states (see Getting Started on site by reference).

8. pictures reference added above

9. Ray

Ray

Have you tried simply using another FTP client such as FileZilla to upload your sites to our web servers? If you are having problems configuring VS to connect to our server which it needs to do using FTP, you can still create the project using VS and then use FileZilla which is a FTP client to upload it to your account.

10. Thanks Ray. Already install FileZilla. Looks like it works.

11. If you have a Web Site then you have Copy Web Site option, butif you have Web Aplication project then you have the publish option and the copy web site option will not be available. I am facing the same problem of publishing the site.

12. Ok figured out,

Ok so if you have created a Web Application instead of web site, and not have the "copy wb site" option in the menu, you need to click on the publish button. Once you do that a dialogue will open asking you to specify the ftp location. put you ftp location for example ftp.evonnebe.w01.Winhost.com this i mine (this is the secondary ftp the first one doesn't work for somereason).
    Then to add the port use name and password just click on the browse button beside the ftp locatin, te button has 3 dots (...). when you click this it will now show you the ftp configuration becasue of the ftp location you gave in the path.
    And ten the deployment will begin....

hope this helps someone.

13. Ray

Ray

ActiveSolution, Thanks for the post.