Dedicated SSL on Basic plan

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi

If I purchase a new Winhost Basic Plan and then a RapidSSL SSL cert from Winhost, can I have:

https://www.mydomainname.com.au

where the SSL cert is not shared but is dedicated to my web site and domain?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

Not on the Basic plan. You need to be on the Max or Ultimate plan to use the SSL cert with the hosting account at Winhost.

With all our plans, including the Basic Plan, you can purchase SSL certificates if you want to. We have many customers buying SSL certs from us (since we price them lower than the usual retail prices) and use the cert at other hosts.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

If it were available on the Basic Plan, I would most likely move from my exisitng host of over 3 and a half years.

However, at the same monthly fee ($10), there's no point in going through the hassle.

Any chance of changing your Basic Plan, to allow dedicated SSL?

Perhaps, on an annual commitment ...

4. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

Not at this time. Dedicated SSL requires a unique IP and right now the IPs have run out around the world so its costing us more to get them.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I understand the issue with IPv4.

What about mapping SSL cert to IPv6?

Any idea when that might occur (if not already)?

6. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

we are looking into ip6 but its kind of useless until all isps support it. basically you have to run both ipv4 and ipv6 together to get it to work now from what i understand.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I'll check back next year in case Winhost offers a dedicated SSL on the Basic Plan.

Thank you very much for your help!

8. Bear in mind that there has to be some differentiation between the plans or there's no reason for the different plans to exist. Basic is intended as an entry level plan. It isn't really meant to be a "smaller" version of the Max or Ultimate plans.