Debug Question

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by ginger, May 19, 2013.

1. Can we debug after we have deployed our files to hosting server? If so what are the steps to debug using Visual Studio?

Thanks

2. Ray

Ray

Visual Studio has it's own debugging tool, but if you want to debug a web application remotely that is on a shared hosting environment, I'm afraid that is something most shared hosting services cannot provide. It requires us to give you a higher level server access at the same time relax the security on the server.

3. Then I'm stumped. My app works fine locally but not on your hosting server. I have no idea what is wrong. I guess I'll need to throw more try / catch every. Thanks anyway.

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

What's the error message you're getting? Sometimes your application will throw an error, and we can try to help guide you to a solution.

5. I don't get any error message that's the worse thing. It seems like it's doing something then nothing happens. I check my DB to check for data and nothing there. No emails sent either.

6. Ray

Ray

Pull up your site in Chrome, then hit the F12 button. That will bring up the development tool. When your site errors out it may trap a HTTP error that can give you a clue on what's going on.

7. Thanks. I did have an error - fixed that but still I cannot see what is happening. No error are showing. I was hoping to see data in DB and an email sent to me.

Can I show you my code?

8. Tabitha

Tabitha WinHost HBIC

Yes, you can paste your code.