Database Backups

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Pyronaught, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Pyronaught

Pyronaught Guest

Are routine backups performed on the SQL database, and if so how often?

2. Pyronaught

Pyronaught Guest

Never mind, I found the answer in another post.

So far it looks like you guys have everything I get from my current host, only I'm paying $100 a month for two shared hosting sites! I have a new site I'm going to host with you guys, then if that goes well I'll move the other two over. It will be nice not having to dish out a Ben Franklin every month for hosting service.

3. Wow, that's really on the high end for shared hosting. Maybe your host thinks it's still 1994. ;)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, it's $65 a month for basically the same package you have on your $5 a month plan, and then they are getting me another $20 for exceeding the 100MB on the SQL space. A SQL backup restore is $50, so that's higher than your $30 also. Additional sites are $45. So really I'm paying freakin $130 amonth for two low-traffic sites!

The uptime and support is good, so I guess their strategy has been to not give their customers any reason to go looking around at what others are charging and notice how far prices have come down in the last 10 years! I never even thought to look until now.

I have to laugh when I see people talking about the financial "pain" of $10 a month here, or some special thing they are not getting in the $5 a month plan. It's like, DUDE... we're talking a five spot. You can barely do a McDonalds meal for that.

5. Agreed. But any cost is too much for some people. That's fine, but we can only do so much.

A lot of businesses get by with outdated or excessive pricing because there are people who will pay for the convenience of staying put. Moving a site can be pretty painful, so it's understandable.

It's like keeping a domain at Network Solutions a decade (wow, time flies) after they became one of the most expensive registrars. It's just easier for most people.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, I've been there done that on Network Solutions. I think their strategy was not telling customers when their domain was about to expire, then letting you go into panic mode when your site goes down and you just renew with them right away to get it done as fast as possible. That's how I got stuck with them so long. No letter in the mail, no emails, no nothing until the site goes down. I would imagine most people don't have the date their domain expires marked on their calander either. The other guys will send you a letter in the mail to remind you to renew. Network Solutions relys on panic impulse!

7. That's interesting. I would think ICANN would have a regulation about renewal notices. But I'm not really surprised by anything that I hear Network Solutions is doing.