Creating a forum

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Debbie, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Hi!
    I am looking to create my own forum for my website. Much like this one. Anybody know where I can do this? I was looking to do a subdomain like www.me.com/forum. Thanks.

2. Actually, me.com/forum is a subdirectory, forum.me.com is a subdomain.

The Winhost forum uses this software, but there are a lot of options. There are free forums you can try, but if you think you might need support you'll probably want to go with a commercial forum.

A few things to keep in mind:

- A lot of people start with a free or less feature-rich software but then if the forum becomes popular they find themselves wanting - or needing - to migrate to better commercial software. Migrating from one forum to another is complicated and painful, so if you're serious about making the forum work you might want to go with commercial software from the start.

- Every forum software has completely different set up and maintenance methods, so it's worth your time to do some research and pick one and stick to it. That will help you avoid having to learn an entirely different system if you have to change software.

- You'll find is a forum can use a lot of memory resources, so to support a number of active users you may want to be on the Ultimate Plan here.

Building a community from scratch can take some time, but the benefits can be worth it. Just know that starting a forum will test your patience and perseverance. ;)

ComputerMan likes this.