convert files to zip files programmatically in asp

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by kavalan, Jun 4, 2011.

1. I will want to select a few files and then zip them and save them in a folder.
    I am using classic asp to develop a site where the user wants to upload normal files and these files are then zip and saved in a folder to be accessed on the website.

How can I do that in the Winhost environment as third party dll cannot be installed on the server?

Even if there is a way to do this in asp.net I will be happy to do so
    Thank you

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

we don't allow zipping/unzipping on the webserver. You can upload dlls to the bin directory using ftp

3. thank you for your reply. If I upload the dll to the bin folder, will it be registered to be used in the server?
    Also on my ftp, I can't see a bin folder. Can I create a bin folder and upload the dll?

thank you again

4. Ray

Ray

Yes, once you upload all your assemblies/binaries/dll files to your Bin folder your application will automatically reference it from there. That is how ASP.Net is setup. But keep in mind that these assemblies has to be a ASP.Net assembly and it has to be Bin Deployable.

You can simply create your own Bin folder via FTP and naming a folder Bin. ASP.Net framework will automatically recognize it as the applications Bin folder.