consume over 100 MB of the servers memory

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by extorted, Feb 6, 2012.

1. I am haunted by this.

The below entries, as posted by Winhost support personnel, indicate that my site consumes over 100 MB within 4 minutes!!

Date: 2/6/2012 4:20:18 AM Description: A worker process with process id of '55692' serving application pool 'customerPool_25012' has requested a recycle because it reached its private bytes memory limit.

Date: 2/6/2012 4:16:18 AM Description: A worker process with process id of '371600' serving application pool 'customerPool_25012' has requested a recycle because it reached its private bytes memory limit.

What can cause this excess usage? I know, I know - "bad design" probably many will say. But... given all the site does is read from db, return data in datasets (small dataset), and I am closing connections etc. etc. given also this is not yet public... What other bad design practices can I possibly address? Will I have to cache / drop datasets and use something less bloated? Is it necessary for a really simple site? :(

Thanks in advance

2. Hi.
    I hate issues like that. Assuming you're running .net, You might use something like Ants Performance Profiler. I believe that there's a trial version for free. I "think" that it reports on memory usage.

Also - even if you are returning small datasets, it doesn't take long to use up 100MB if you're not releasing object references properly - especially if you're using something fat like Entity Framework or NHibernate.

DS

3. Thanks

Thanks Damien.

I am in fact going to download the 14 day trial from Red Gate. I will post to this thread anything useful that I find, for the sake of people who run into the same troubles.

C