configuration error

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Robert, Jan 16, 2010.

1. I get this error on my site.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'targetFramework'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive.

It's up right now: www.robertgreiner.com

Does the .NET version need to be upgraded on the server? I am using ASP .NET MVC 2.

Thanks guys.

2. ok, i figured it out. I was using framework 4.0 instead of 3.5.

Are you guys planning on upgrading to 4.0 in the near future?

3. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

we hope to support .net 4 in the future, but it needs to be officially released and tested.

4. that's what I figured, just curious.

5. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

Our hosting service is not an experimentation platform so we don't install beta stuff on it. We want to offer reliable hosting. Just recently microsoft announced a delay in .net 4 due to performance issues that they need to adddress. Just think if we put that beta stuff on our servers....

6. hi curtis, i get the same message as robert but he doesn't list how he fixed it on his website. I am using visual web developer 2008 and I must say that i am not an experienced programmer. Not sure how i fix the problem on my website. can you suggest how i change my code?

7. Ray

Ray

To be on the safe side, try posting the full and exact error messages. Slight differences in error messages can be caused by a completely different issue.

8. Sorry,here is the complete error message that I receive:

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'targetFramework'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive.

Source Error:

Line 12: </connectionStrings>
    Line 13: <system.web>
    Line 14: <compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true" targetFramework="4.0"/>
    Line 15: <authentication mode="Forms">
    Line 16: <forms loginUrl="~/Account/Login.aspx" timeout="2880"/>

Source File: E:\web\jeffreyl\web.config Line: 14

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4200; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

9. Ray

Ray

To keep it simple, go to your computer and open your website that is on your computer with VS.

On the "Solution Explorer" right click on your site and go to Property Pages. Click on Build and from there you can update the target framework to 3.5 instead of 4.0. Then upload the site again using FTP.

10. Thanks Ray, I will try that. I appreciate the help. Jeff

11. I just published a MVS2 application to Winhost. Following this FAQ, I made sure System.Web.MVC is local. I am still getting Unrecognized attribute 'targetFramework'. Is there anything else I need to do? The Target Framework is 4.0

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015