Configuration Error - Local SqlServer not found

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by skverskk, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Hi, I'm using VS 2008 to deploy my ASP.Net to Winhost. I am not using any database at all in the web application. It is strictly static aspx web pages for now. However, when I copy the site over to Winhost and attempt to run it, I am getting the following message:
    ========================================
    Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: machine.config Line: 160
    ===========================================
    I've read previous threads about this and have subsequently removed the SQl Connection properties from the Web.Config, totally, but still getting the above message. In addition, I have not setup any SQL Databaase at all.

Anyone know why and how I can correct this issue?

Thanks so much

--Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

This means that your .Net application has a connection string call to LocalSQLServer. This is typically normal with .Net applications because the default connection string name is "LocalSQLServer". On our server we have taken off the connection string name "LocalSQLServer" because by default it points to a SQL Express database which we do not support.

What you will need to do is go through your code and make sure you drop/delete any calls to "LocalSQLServer".

3. alternatively put IN a web.config section as ...

<connectionStrings>
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="dummy" />
    </connectionStrings>