Config Error: Lock violation

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by jroberge, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Hello,
    I have been attempting to remove the WindowsAuthenticationModule by placing <remove name="WindowsAuthenticationModule"/> in the system.webServer -> modules section of my web.config. This results in the following error:

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error
    The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Detailed Error Information
    Module IIS Web Core
    Notification BeginRequest
    Handler Not yet determined
    Error Code 0x80070021
    Config Error Lock violation

I believe this is an issue at the parent level of the site as detailed when I tried to also use <windowsAuthentication enabled="false" />:

This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

WindowsAuthenticationModule is not support and thus not delegated.

The supported authentication modules are Basic / Anonymous / Form

3. It is appearing in my list of modules in Remote IIS Manager. Is it supposed to appear regardless of being not delegated?

4. Ray

Ray

Where exactly are you seeing 'WindowsAuthenticationModule'? I can only find it under 'Modules'.