Com Error

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by bcgould, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Developing a site in VS2010 using C# I have added the following code to play an mp3 when the user clicks on the link button

WMPLib.WindowsMediaPlayer wplayer = new WMPLib.WindowsMediaPlayer();
    wplayer.URL = "http://www.mysitehere/sound/puppetlaugh.mp3";
    wplayer.controls.play();

Response.Redirect("Default.aspx");

I then go to the solution and add a reference for Windows Media Player which is the wmp.dll

Run the program, everything is fine. Publish the site, load it to Winhost, click the link button, get the following error:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

Googling my butt off for 6.5 hours I have read everything from change the target platform to x64 or x86 in visual studios to set an option in application pool. Now, the drop down in Visual Studios does not have an option to change the platform but I went to the configuration manager, new, and entered x64 and later x86. compiled, published, etc.. still same error.

The other solution, again, was to change the IIS setting under application pools to something about run 32 and 64 bit. However, that is not an option. i have installed iis 6, 7, and 7.5. and my option goes from .NET Framework Version to Managed pipeline - the option that should be in between is not there.

I know this is something stupid like i am somehow suppose to include and then reference the .dll or some setting in visual studios I am missing. I really just don't know but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015