Cloud computing

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WinFXGuy, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Is cloud computing/hosting relatively expensive for startups compared to shared hosting?

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

You mean you want to start a cloud hosting business or a shared hosting business? Or are you trying to figure out if you should use a shared host or a cloud host for your startup?

3. Cloud computing/hosting could be relatively difficult for startup sites, as there's a lot of managing in order for it to both be effective and affordable. This being from a customer standpoint of course.

I'd personally recommend starting with shared hosting, and if your needs grow, you could start branching off to a cloud storage. Most importantly, what do you need cloud computing for? Is it for dynamic or static content?

4. I mean from a customer point of view. My site is in a planning stage and trying to decide what is the best option. But, I checked Microsoft Azure, it is very expensive for a tiny start up web site. Basically, my site may need a lot of storage space as it might allow users to upload videos.

5. That could potentially grow in size real quick depending on the amount of users. Have you thought of putting the videos up on a 3rd party service?

6. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

If you have a lot of videos then you can host those at a cloud storage service and you can use us for hosting your website.