Client/Server Fingerprint Reader For Homeless Shelter

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Farr433, May 17, 2014.

1. Hello, I have a team where we created software for a non-profit homeless shelter that now uses a fingerprint reader for check-in via client server model. The software is running perfect on our VB development server however it does not seem to be creating the custom COM object through the provided sdk from SecuGen (really established fingerprint reader software) on the server.

I tried to do research and found this link:
    https://support.Winhost.com/KB/a616/do-you-allow-custom-com-components.aspx

Essentially we capture the fingerprint client side, encrypt to a long string and HTTP request with ajax over to the server, which is working properly. But then it queries the DB for the fingerprints and creates this custom COM object using SecuGen.FDxSDKPro.Windows.dll for the decryption and comparison. Then the result is either a 0 or the guestID and responds to the client.

I just triggered the error on 5/17/2014 at 4:30 and will send a few more.
    Our initial error (the HTTP response):

"{"Message":"Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.","StackTrace":" at System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.ShowCore(IWin32Window owner, String text, String caption, MessageBoxButtons buttons, MessageBoxIcon icon, MessageBoxDefaultButton defaultButton, MessageBoxOptions options, Boolean showHelp)\r\n at SecuGen.FDxSDKPro.Windows.SGFingerPrintManager..ctor()\r\n at printVerify.VerifyFinger(String originalTemplate) in E:\\web\\trmcheck\\App_Code\\printVerify.vb:line 34\r\n at FingerPrintService.PostOrigFP(String originalTemplate) in E:\\web\\trmcheck\\App_Code\\FingerPrintService.vb:line 33","ExceptionType":"System.InvalidOperationException"}"

My hypothesis is that the attached .exe may need to be installed on the server but I am not all the way sure. Is there anyway we could have the attached .exe file installed on the server, PLEEEAASEEE? If it helps with the decision it is for a non profit homeless shelter and we are providing it for free to better the community. It is so small, barely uses any resources and I promise will not have a negative impact on other users. If there are any doubts check out the SDK documentation which actually is decent. We have already showcased this software at the UNF school of computing symposium and won first place but that was using our development server. If you guys went the extra mile and helped us out with this we will be sure to give full credit to you guys as an awesome host. This check in system is developing national attention and we are too close to turn back!

More troubleshooting info:
    Unfortunately you cannot just test it directly without the fingerprint reader and drivers required on the client side. However tests can be done by passing the encrypted fingerprint string to the PostOrigFP web method and return a match.

SDK Install: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BznIc0zE-20FUkFTY2w5QnZ1RlU/edit?usp=sharing
    Website URL: http://trmcheckin.org/checkIn/
    Username: mheavener
    Password: admin12
    Web Method URL: http://trmcheckin.org/checkIn/FingerPrintService.asmx
    Web Method: PostOrigFP
    Encrypted Fingerprint String:

EH5DDkOWDRfrUjrW73th5lNBQZsAAiPF4dK1ODxA3X8POFTpW3Jo9nbHDxS*49e1xIbtMrhlOr2XcxK8v9hJzCZXvBfuesTcIyF0gOL/HYj48fEVsudeLfhi6WEYhTT039IQZYs4i9/S/1*3Ge2UPpx/Q4MT2k46VYJ6Zd7elUUt4Vv*ZaY35OF*7*tsm2ndVgzpFQMf83SDThLc083On0MJ8zQ*j*tvEZeGnR6uEZsbLcnrrw1fYCpk/0fwbPl8Gy3J668NX2AqZP9H8Gz5fBstyeuvDV9gKmT/R/Bs*XwbLcnrrw1fYCpk/0fwbPl8Gy3J668NX2AqZP9H8Gz5fBstyeuvDV9gKmT/R/Bs*XwbLcnrrw1fYCpk/0fwbPl8Gy3J668NX2AqZP9H8Gz5fBstyeuvDV9gKmT/R/Bs*XwbLcnrrw1fYCpk/0fwbPl8Gy3J668NX2AqZP9H8Gz5fBstyeuvDV9gKmT/R/Bs*XwbLcnrrw1fYCpk/0fwbPl8Gy3J668NX2AqZP9H8Gz5fA

I have been back and forth with support in emails and eventually told me that senior members capable of helping would be in the forum. I know this is a lot to read but I figured the more information, the better! Please guys, I need to get this running and is really cool stuff. If I can't get this working I'll have to find another host as the entire application is built around this fingerprint reader. The company is not very tech savy and once we just have it set up they won't be touching it so they will be renewing year after year with you guys!

Thank you in advance,
    Anthony

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Oh yes the line of code throwing the HTTP response error is:
    _objVerify = New SGFingerPrintManager()

Where it creates a new instance of the COM object.

3. I'm afraid not. We can make server configuration changes for individual accounts, but only if they are contained within your account (meaning if your account leaves the server, so do your configurations).

It isn't so much an issue of vetting the executable (and vetting and maintaining the licensing, if any), but rather maintaining a uniform and stable network.

Yes, there are hosts who will install anything you ask them to install on the server. But think about that - do you really want your site running on a server that has hundreds of other users installing whatever on the box? You don't.

And if that server dies (which servers do), how do you then replicate all of the customization on the new box? You can't.

That's why we have to decline to install components on the server level. We would love to be able to accommodate everyone's requests, but hopefully you can see why that isn't always possible.