Change url

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by 0000624, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Is it possible to change my URL in my current domain?

2. Ray

Ray

You mean your domain name? No. Once the account has been provisioned, the domain name you've choosen when you registered the account is hard coded into the system. You'll need to order a new site account with correct domain name and drop the old site account with the wrong domain name. Of course this will mean that you move your web pages, email, and database to the new site account.

3. Domain Name

Is that effectively changing your domain name? What happens to the old domain name? Is it possible to reclaim the old name in the futrure? Does old name get put back in the pool of names available to other subsribers world wide?

4. Ray

Ray

If you registered it with a registrar that domain name is yours as long as you keep paying the renewal fee. I think you are confusing domain name registration and web hosting. These are two different entities that work hand and hand togethere but neither fully affecting each other.

5. If I discontinued my domain that is used on my account and I cannot change my account to new domain, HOW DO I LOG into FTP account?

ftp.OldDomain.com will not work because I do not have this domain.
    I know that I can set domain pointer and direct my new domain to my old domain's account. However, will I be able to set ftp connection through ftp.NewDomain.com

6. Ray

Ray

There is always the secondary FTP address. But the most efficient way to do this is to register a new site account with the correct domain name. Upload all your website to that new site account and cancel the old site account with the expired domain name.

7. I still have a half of year on my old account, can it be transferred to a new account?

8. Ray

Ray

Contact our billing department and let them know you are opening a new site account for domain name change purposes. They may be able to credit you for the new site account.

9. Thanks.
    Second FTP works - I'll use this for some testing first