Catch all subdomain

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Tom R, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Tom R

Tom R Guest

Hi - I'll preface this request by saying the host I originally signed up with can't seem to manage resolve an issue for me (non-responsive customer support, not a technical difficulty) so I'm looking for a new host.

For an application I'm buidling, I need all undefined subdomains to be handled by the site on the main domain. I use code similar to the UrlRewriting class described at http://forums.asp.net/t/1072886.aspx?PageIndex=1. When a new session begins, the user's subdomain is parsed and the database is checked to see if that value (i.e., account) exists. If it does, then the user receives a login page. Otherwise, they are redirected to a signup page.

I have set a wildcard A record to direct all traffic to the same IP regardless of subdomain. But on my soon-to-be-dumped host this just gets me to the generic "under construction" page for the web server. Can Winhost handle the final rewrite required to get this functionality working?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Dedicated IP required?

I finally got someone at the host to speak with me and it appears the approach outlined in the code linked in my first post requires a dedicated IP as IIS can't handle wildcard subdomains. Does that sound right? If so, does Winhost offer dedicated IP's?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Tom R

Tom R Guest

Got it

Answered my own question...if I sign up for the Max plan and enable SSL then I'll get a dedicated IP.