Cannot get mail to send from site

Discussion in 'Email' started by 0010610, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Hi

I cannot seem to get my site to send e mails using vb.net 3.5 system.net.mail

When i use the application on a development and test environment it works fine but doesnt when it is on Winhosts servers.

I am using asp:update panels and when i trigger an event that sends an e mail i get an error from the page request manager stating that an unknown server error was encountered! I just cant figure out what is different!

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

What's the exact and complete error message? What mail server are you using?

3. Hi Ray

I am using mail.erecordsolutions.co.uk which is the mail server provided by Winhost.

The exact server error is below;

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Sky Broadband; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0E; Tablet PC 2.0; BRI/2)
    Timestamp: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 22:04:56 UTC

Message: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 500
    Line: 5
    Char: 62099
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.erecordsolutions.co.uk/S...VFWGpd5Cr0xj9B9Bfo8f2iszHflUQ3-481&t=5c2f384e

The e mail is sent from the code behind.

Cheers

4. Ray

Ray

This doesn't seem to be a mail server error but a coding error. The error message is showing this line to be at fault.

Line: 5
    Char: 62099

Have you checked this line? The status code 500 error is a none descriptive error and can mean a lot of different things. First off make sure your application is passing SMTP authentication. Our email server will not send out the email unless you log into it first. Try using this kb article and create a test script. This will help you identify what to look for and what is working.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a650/how-to-send-email-in-aspnet.aspx

5. Quality, it was the smtp settings. I had written them into web.config. Looks like it wasn't picking them up from there.

Thanks Ray