Bluehost refugee seeks dependable host with ASP.NET MVC leanings

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Tom7, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Tom7

Tom7 Guest

After years of very happy service, I am now having severe availability problems with my current host (Bluehost) and am embarrassed enough by them that I am forced to look for a new web host. Since I'm thinking about learning ASP.NET MVC, I figure Winhost.com might be a good fit. Specifically, I'm interested in the $20 Winhost Utlimate plan.

Here are my first questions:

a) Will I be able to host my Xenforo forums (forums.basketballogy.com) on Winhost?

b) I have 8 WordPress sites, each with their own domain name, will I be able to do that as well? Some of them (I hope) will eventually become ASP.NET MVC sites instead, but until then I need them to stay up as WordPress sites.

c) I depend on certain WordPress plug-ins (such as iFrame and Subscribe2), will I be able to use WordPress plugins with Winhost?

d) Is Winhost a registrar as well in the sense that I can not just buy domains, but point them around as needed, for example to other domains or use google apps mail for the mail client of the domain?

e) Does Winhost have a "high touch" service to help me migrate?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

I honestly am not sure. I went to the xenForo website but couldn't find any requirements.

Yes, but in order to get them working correctly under a single site account, you will need to know how to use URL Rewrite or the Permalinks feature in WordPress.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use them.

Winhost is not a domain registrar, but we do offer DNS hosting as long as you have 1 active site account with us.

I'm afraid we do not offer any migration services.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. We've done some preliminary testing for Xenforo, and it will run here.

Whether or not you're going to run into problems though, I can't say for certain, since we only did very bare bones testing. I can't foresee any specific problems, but it would probably depend on the complexity of your installation (plugins, etc.).

You can always take advantage of our 30 day money back guarantee and give the Xenforo installation a try. For an application like that I would recommend either the Max or Ultimate plans. Only because they provide greater memory and MySQL storage allocations.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, I am only interested in the Ultimate plan, so we are on the same page there.

I'm not sure the 30 day money back guarantee would help me though. I have a community that I cannot leave high and dry, so if I migrate it, I need to have a very high confidence that it is going to work or I'll lose them.

5. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

You can still take advantage of the offer. We provide a Secondary URL where you can test things before you fully switch over.