Automated backup tool - VOTE HERE

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by maric01, Nov 11, 2013.

1. I would like to invite all the customers at Winhost to vote for adding this feature (again !) :

Automated backup tool for database.

It's really important guys to vote on this ... together, we can make this feature a priority if everyone is asking for it !!!! Make noise also on Winhost facebook page about this feature ! ;-)

Thanks

A really satisfied customer
    Richard

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
    Jurek Makowiecki likes this.
  2. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

what do you mean by automated backup tool?

Do you mean you want our system to backup your database on a schedule you defined?

3. I mean a system that can backup our database (same thing as it's doing right now but with a schedule and automated). The space taken will be deducted from the space we have available with the plan we own.

4. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

noted.

5. I don't think it has to be too complicated. I can run my own script on my own schedule to backup the database. The problem is the location I can provide the script is not one that I can get to. If you could either 1. make the location available by FTP, or 2. have your own job that monitors the backup store and automatically moves them to the app_data folder so I can ftp it then I would be happy. Scheduling my own job is a cake walk...

BACKUP DATABASE {myDbName}
    TODISK='\{myDbName}_backup.bak'
    WITH
    COPY_ONLY,
    NOFORMAT,
    INIT,
    NAME =N'{myDbName}',
    SKIP,
    REWIND,
    NOUNLOAD,
    STATS= 10

6. Whether you let us write the BACKUP DATABASE statement or whether you write it yourselves - both work. All I need is for the backup to execute on schedule (daily, most likely) or triggered by my script here (SQL, HTTP - anything), keep a few copies (three would be sufficient, I think) and let me download the backups.

Love your service.