ASP Net.Mail.SmtpClient & GMAIL

Discussion in 'Email' started by seascandive, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Hi. I have been battling a bug for a few months and hoping someone can help:

I have a asynchronous webservice setup to handle my outgoing emails from my Winhost site. It works great EXCEPT when I need to send more than say... 15 emails.

SOMETIMES it works great even when I try to send 40 emails... other times it quits after 10 or 15.

I have a handler for the: ReminderSMTP.SendCompleted event. If the last message went out then it sends the next message. If there was an error I create a new SMTPClient with a completely different smtp server and credentials and send an error report then I try to resend the original message (from the original SMTP client).

I never get an error report and often not all the messages go out. Is there any reasons the SendCompleted event would not get fired? As I understand, the event is triggered if there is a timeout or any other type of error.

I have tested the error email routine and verified it sends the error message email as expected - so that is not the reason.

This is driving me crazy as I've tried MANY possible fixes. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. I am still battling this bug. I just tried using a timeout (a timer). When the timer event fires it should re-try sending the email and it sends out a new email (to a completely different) address to tell me that this event happened.

I have not received a 'timeout' email and I know that all the original emails were not sent.

It is like the process just dies. All of this is in an ASMX service so I can't really debug it. If I run off localhost then it all works great.... this is why I think the issue is with the underlying Winhost SMTPClient.

3. Bypass Winhost SMTP servers

Does anyone know how I can bypass the Winhost SMTP servers? Are there any services I can use?

All I want to be able to do is send daily reminders to customers who have something scheduled... sometimes this may be 25-50 emails.

I am using GMAIL. When I host my site locally I have no issues. As soon as I copy the files to Winhost the emails quit after 15-25 or so. No error, no nothing... just kaput. The connection between the Winhost SMTP server and GMAIL just dies.

Any ideas??

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

You can try using GMail's SMTP server. You will need to connect on port 465.