Another Unhappy Arvixe Customer

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by JeffDenman, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Looking to move after a disastrous and unfortunate situation (like a few others I can tell).

So, I'm looking at the 'Max' plan.
    • How many email aliases can I create?
    • If I sign up with domain abc.com, and create several subdomains joe.abc.com & beth.abc.com - can I create and host a domain joescameras.com and have incoming requests map to a subdirectory? Or do I need to do some fancy URL redirection script?
    • How many accounts are on a single shared server (with 300MB app pools, and the server only using 24 GB RAM, I expect around 10-12, but I fail to see how that's profitable).

2. Hi Jeff, sorry about the demise of your host.

As many as you'd like. As I recall there might be a soft limit in there somewhere, maybe at 1,000? But if you need more than that we can lift the cap.
    By default subdomains point to the root directory, so you would need a redirection script to send traffic to a subdirectory. But the script is pretty simple and you only have to do it once.
    Not on the abc.com site. You'd have to add a site to the account to add a new domain to DNS.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

3. Guess the edit of my post didn't take...here's my last question again:

• How many shared accounts are on an average single shared server (with 300MB app pools, and the server only using 24 GB RAM, I expect around 60-70, is that profitable?).

4. Also, when you say 'add a site' to the account, you mean another 'Max' plan for the other joescamera.com domain?

5. Hmm....only 1 response from support? Interesting.

6. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

7. I'm not sure where the 24GB number is coming from. You can put a terabytes of RAM into a high quality modern web server. And of course it would be terminally unprofitable to run 70 (or 700) accounts on a server like that.

Server density isn't something that most hosts generally discuss, for a lot of reasons. But mainly because the variations in server hardware and resources (and resource management) really make that number irrelevant. Some servers shouldn't have more than a hundred sites on them. Some can serve 10,000. The right density - that sweet spot where you maximize the number of sites without sacrificing any performance - is different for every machine.

I'm not suggesting that we run servers with 10,000 sites on them - we don't. That's just an example. To answer your question: there is no hard and fast number. We look for that sweet spot on each server. Some servers run more sites than others, some less. Our goal is to make sure your site always has enough resources to function at its best.

This isn't a support forum, per se. If you need a quick answer to a support or billing or sales question it's best to email us directly (or open a ticket if you already have an account).

Elshadriel likes this.