Alternate paths work but Primarys do not

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by patmh, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Hi
    I have made the change to ther nameservers on directNIC and it tells me that my site patmh.com resolves to the correct IP 96.31.35.13.

When I fisrt did this all was working Ok, I created a basic site in VS 2005 used the copy web (ftp) and it uploaded a basic under contruction page that I could get via a browser - www.patmh.com.

Now however I cannot get to www.patmh.com via a browser (IE cannot display page) nor can I connect to the normal FTP as it is shown in my control panel.

I can however display the defaul page (which is all that is left as I deleted the others I had uploaded) using the secondary URL list in the control panel patmhcom.w01.Winhost.com and I can connect via FTP if I use the Secondary FTP:.

It seems like all the primary ways to do anything have just stopped.

Any ideas? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. I get to it, and I'm outside the office today...

"PATMH.COM - Under Construction"

The name servers are correct. You could be experiencing a DNS caching issue with your provider. Everything checks out here though.

3. Hank,

Thanks, but I still cannot get to it from here. Hmmm... I understand what you say about the cache issue so this makes me wonder if my IP provider has a cache issue. Is that possible? I guess I will wait and see.

If someone else can try to get to www.patmh.com I would appreciate if you would reply here and let me know the results.

Thanks,
    Pat

4. Hank,

I posted the wrong comment - Sorry. I agree that I might be having an IP cache issue is what I meant to say. Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,
    Pat

5. Hank -

When I cleared my cache in the browser and I stoped and re-started the DNS service I could get to the web site.

Thanks for the help!

For thise that might run into this as well here are the steps:

Internet Explorer 7 - clear cache

1. Click on 'Tools' and then 'Internet Options' from your browser menu.
    2. Choose the 'General' tab.
    3. Next to 'Temporary Internet Files', click Delete files... .
    4. Click Close, and then click OK to exit.

Restarting the DNS Client service

You can also restart the DNS Client service in Windows, 2000, Windows XP Vista, or Mac OS X and this will globally clear the local machine browser cache as well.
    To restart your DNS client in Windows, which will completely flush the DNS cache on your local machine (your computer):
    1) Click on the Start menu.
    2) Go to your Control Panel
    3) Switch to Classic view
    4) Look for your Administrative tools control panel Icon and double-click it
    5) From the list that appears, navigate to the 'Services' administrative tools
    6) Double-click the 'Services' administrative tools icon to launch it
    7) Make sure the 'Extended' view tab is selected
    8) Navigate to the DNS client service and left click it once
    9) To the left there will appear to action hyperlinks, 'Stop the service' and 'Restart the service'
    10) Select 'Restart the service' and this will flush the DNS cache system wide

Simply close the Service. Administrative Tools control panel, and the main Control Panel window.

6. Glad it worked out for you when you cleared your local cache.

But to answer your other question, yes, the ISP also has a DNS cache that can cause the same problem. These days those caches don't last long, so it isn't usually an issue.

But in the early days of the web some ISPs would clear their caches every two or three days. ;) We were always trying to explain that to Earthlink users, back in 1994, 95, as they were one of the worst. Their DNS cache was 72 hours.