Access Front End - Form ODBC Connection Fails - Table ODBC Connection works

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by GMAC, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Hope you guys can help me out with this one.

I am using Access as my front end with the data tables being stored on the server.

Through Control Panel / Administrative Tools/ Data Sources I have created the ODBC connection. It passed the connection test.

I can connect to the server through SQL Server Management Studio and all is good.

This is where it get strange.
    I have a created a database in access xxxxx.mdb. I have linked tables from the server. I have form with these tables as the data source.

When the Access database opens I want it to go to a form. When this happens the SQL Server Login window comes up for me to enter the password. After entering the password the program attempts to make the connection then it fails. SQL State 08001 and SQL Server Error 53.

However, if upon opening the database, you go to the Table first. Highlight one of the linked tables.
    Open Link Table Manager. Place a check in the table box and click OK to relink.
    Enter ID and Password in the SQL Server Login window. The connection get established. Close out of pop-ups.
    Go to forms, select the same form and now it works.

On other similar projects in the past I have had the SQL Login Window work from the first form on open.

Any thoughts from anyone why this is not working on this new Server connection?