ASP.NET Core 2.2 Support

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Newmski, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Since upgrading my site to ASP.NET Core 2.2 I receive the following error:

Handler "aspNetCore" has a bad module "AspNetCoreModuleV2" in its module list

When hosting the site locally on IIS I received the same message until I installed the ".NET Core 2.2 Runtime & Hosting Bundle" from https://dotnet.microsoft.com/downlo...untime-2.2.0-windows-hosting-bundle-installer

Is ASP.NET Core 2.2 currently supported? If not is there a time frame when this will be resolved?

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

It's not currently supported but will be pushed out soon.

3. I am getting the same error with 2.2 trying to do a Self-Contained Deployment (SCD). Shouldn't an SCD be ok?

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Yes, the error is the module name. Change it to just "AspNetCoreModule" (i.e. remove the V2), and it should work if you deployed it via SCD.

5. I was running in to the same issue, even with the self-contained deployment. I spent a lot of time digging through Microsofts documentation and figured out what Elshdriel was referring to. If you create a new .NET Core project from the command line, it doesn't come with a web.config - you'll have to add one to your project:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/host-and-deploy/aspnet-core-module?view=aspnetcore-2.2

Find the flavor of web.config for the SCD, tweak the executable name to that of your project, and chop off the V2 on the end of the module name, for example:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <configuration>
      <location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false">
        <system.webServer>
          <handlers>
            <add name="aspNetCore" path="*" verb="*" modules="AspNetCoreModule" resourceType="Unspecified" />
          </handlers>
          <aspNetCore processPath=".\sjio2.exe"
                      stdoutLogEnabled="false"
                      stdoutLogFile=".\logs\stdout"
                      hostingModel="InProcess" />
        </system.webServer>
      </location>
    </configuration>
    It's never easy :mad:

And count me in - it'd be nice to not have to do this and have 2.2 installed on the servers.

Jason Jeffries and Elshadriel like this.
  6. Is this fixed? I'm finding that I still have to remove the V2 in my web.config.

7. I am having the exact same problem. Very annoying. Works if I remove the V2 in web.config but do not think I should have to do that?

8. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

You don't need to remove the V2 at the end of the module name. This actually means that the module and ASP.NET Core 2.2 isn't installed on the server.

We do have servers that have 2.2 installed but I suspecting you guys might be on a server that doesn't have ASP.NET Core 2.2 installed.

Contact our support department and ask them to confirm if ASP.NET Core 2.2 is installed. If it's not we can migrate you to a new server with Core 2.2.

Migration can take 1 - 4 hours really depending on how big your site is.

Elshadriel likes this.