Question About DotNetNuke Installs and Domain Aliasing

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by KellsBells, Feb 22, 2011.

1. KellsBells

KellsBells Guest

Hello, I am looking to move my DotNetNuke site over to Winhost. My current hosting provider uses plesk/parallels which has a feature called domain aliasing. Domain aliasing allows me to point multiple domain names to my root directory and DotNetNuke effectively pulls up the matching portal/website based on the host header. This allows me to host multiple websites on the same hosting plan.

Is domain aliasing in plesk the same thing as the domain pointer feature in Winhost? If it is, that means my current setup will port over to Winhost and I can have multiple sites on the same Winhost hosting plan with no problems correct?

Thanks!

-Kells

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Yes, it sure sounds like the same. What the domain pointer does, is create multiple host header names to the site account so that multiple domain names can point to the same root. If your DNN will take that host header information and redirect it to its own subfolder then it should work just fine.

3. KellsBells

KellsBells Guest

DNN will just serve up the correct content from the db based on the host header, no subdirectory redirection needed. So, this sounds like it will work.

4. Ray

Ray

5. KellsBells

KellsBells Guest

Thanks

Thanks for the information!

6. amk2010

amk2010 Guest

I think Winhost support team will also help during the process of moving sites along with all the data but i am not sure if this support is free of cost just as there is no setup fee for a new customer.
    [​IMG]

7. I'm afraid that we do not perform or assist with site migration.

8. Ray

Ray

Technically the staff cannot support site migration. But if you need help, info, or suggestions or simply have a problem, post it on this forum and we'll be more then happy to help you.