Presale Question

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by VB Developer, Oct 13, 2010.

1. VB Developer

VB Developer Guest

I am developing a VB.Net app and intend to use SQL server as the back end. My only purpose to using your service is develop and test my client/server app using the SQL Server portion of your hosting service.

Do I need a domain name to use SQL service? Is there any other cost beyond the stated monthly fee? I'm poor. :)

2. Ray

Ray

No you really do not need a domain name. Although you need to type a domain name when you register an account but you can type anything you want. When the account is registered you will get a secondary URL and secondary FTP address. This will allow you to upload files to our servers and view your web sites without the domain name ever being registered. But if you do like the hosting service you will not be able to change the domain name once the Site Account is provisioned so I suggest you take some thought into what domain name you type when you go through the registration process even if it is not registered just in case you want to go fully live.

I'm afraid are lowest plan is the Basic plan, but if you choose the annual plan you can get 2 months free.
    http://Winhost.com/windows-hosting-plans.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Ray

Ray

Don't forget, if you choose the annual plan, you'll get 2 free months. That will bring the plan down to about 4.13 a month.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a similar case to the opening post. I am very new to developing and have just started to learn using visual basic express and coding html etc.

I am looking at your hosting service to build a site of basically sql database driven charts and reports for a few people -just private use. I want to avoid making my name and address type information exposed. So is it correct to say if I don't register a domain, there would be no risk of that getting into whois? I read that even the privacy option isn't necessarily kept private in practice. And the domain registration fee is a waste at this point.

So if no domain was registered, I would access the pages from a simple numerical url address like xxx.xxx.x.x. correct?

Regards,
    Tony

5. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hello Tony,

We provide you with a Secondary URL with which you can view and test your site. There are also a few ways you can restrict access to your site.