Movin domain to personal hosting

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by kmilo, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hi, i got a domain here with Winhost.

But we just recent got a server on our company and we will like to use the domain.

What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

If you need to change the domain name to your site account, you will need to open a ticket from your Winhost control panel to our Support department. They should be able to update the domain name to your site account for you.

3. Sorry, I think I did not specify what I want.

I have a server on my company, and I will like to use the domain. I dont want to change the name.

4. Ray

Ray

What do you mean you want to use the "domain". A domain name is simply a name and you can point it anywhere. Did you also want that domain name to point to your Winhost account or are you referring to the website that your company server is hosting?

5. Yes, I want it to refer to the website my server is hosting.

6. Ray

Ray

So you want the website that your company server is hosting to go to the website that you have with Winhost, correct? If that is the case then all you need to do is simply move the website via FTP from your company server to our Winhost server and then use the domain pointer feature inside the Winhost control panel to help navigate the domain name to your Winhost account. Read this kb article.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a696/details-on-domain-pointer-service.aspx

I think what probably is getting confusing is the names "domain name" and "website". The two are completely separate from each other.

7. I just only have the domain in Winhost. The aplication is in my server, but I just can access via public ip number. So I will like to use the domain.

8. Ray

Ray

If you want to point the domain name to Winhost just make sure you contact your "Registrar" have them update the name servers to us.

ns1.Winhost.com
    ns2.Winhost.com
    ns3.Winhost.com

You will probably need to setup that domain name as a domain pointer to your account.

Read this kb article.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a696/details-on-domain-pointer-service.aspx