Microsoft Charting Controls

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by trinsioc, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Hi,

I am trying to use the Microsoft Charting components in my site. These require an assembly called System.Web.DataVisualization to be in the GAC. Therefore, I have added the following to my web.config.

<add assembly="System.Web.DataVisualization, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/></assemblies>

I am seeing a compilation error, telling me the assembly is not in the GAC:

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.DataVisualization, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'System.Web.DataVisualization, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' could not be loaded.

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4200; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

How can I leverage the ASP.Net Charting controls on Winhost?

Thanks,
    -Dan

2. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Ray

Ray

Dan, that's correct, the Microsoft Charting Components are not installed on the servers but that should not stop you from using it. This is a .Net product and can be placed in the applications Bin directory for usage. We try to make it a policy to minimize the number of components and assemblies we install on the server even if it is a Microsoft product. If it is a .Net component we prefer that our customers upload it themselves to their Bin directory. This keeps the server more efficient and cleaner and helps us manage and standardize it much easier.