How to find Hidden Files on FTP

Discussion in 'FTP' started by Matthew Dykeman, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Hey Winhost,

So I have a wordpress site that I am working on now and I need to download a copy of the .htaccess file but I have read on a couple sources this is a "hidden file". How do I access hidden files or items on the Winhost FTP site?

Hopefully this question hasn't been asked before. I searched the forums and the topic didn't come up so I thought I'd ask the wonderful people of the Winhost forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. The file I need to download is .htaccess but I can't find it on the ftp for my site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

If you're using FileZilla as your FTP client, then go to Server -> Force showing hidden files.

4. Matthew, the .htaccess file is for Apache servers, it doesn't do anything on a Windows server, so any changes you make there aren't going to take effect.

Are you trying to do url rewriting for post name URLs?

If so, you'll have to add a web.config file to handle the URL rewriting. Just create a text file, name it web.config and put this in it:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <configuration>
      <system.webServer>
        <rewrite>
          <rules>
            <rule name="wordpress" patternSyntax="Wildcard">
            <match url="*"/>
            <conditions>
            <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" negate="true"/>
            <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" negate="true"/>
            </conditions>
            <action type="Rewrite" url="index.php"/>
            </rule></rules>
          </rewrite>
      </system.webServer>
    </configuration>
    Upload the web.config to the directory where you've installed WordPress.

If you're something else, just let us know, there's probably a way to accomplish it outside of .htaccess.

ComputerMan likes this.
  5. Thanks for your post Michael I was just about to modify the .htaccess file when I saw your post. So all I'm trying to do is to change the main URL of my site from mattaboutwebdev.com/wordpress/ to just mattaboutwebdev.com. To do this would I still use the web.config code you mentioned?

6. Have you moved WordPress to the root directory of your account (mattaboutwebdev.com/)?

You can set up a redirect to point
    mattaboutwebdev.com/wordpress/
    to
    blog.mattaboutwebdev.com
    or some other subdomain, but if WordPress is installed in a /wordpress directory you can't redirect that to mattaboutwebdev.com.

But -- if WordPress is installed in /wordpress you can still run it from your root directory (and do what you're trying to do) by moving a couple of files to root (and using the web.config above). See the second section here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory