DotNetNuke Error

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by cruzfg, May 28, 2010.

1. I generally do not submit questions to forums, cause I figure that any problem I face with a configuration is probably common enought that I can do a google search or a <search string> site:forum.Winhost.com and can find the answer from the forum site using Google's search capability. But this problem doesn't seem to appear in the forum. And, I think I may have Mundo in the support team a bit frustrated already.

I've installed a DNN 05.04.02 and if I go to: http://canyonst.w03.Winhost.com/betaucdvc/dotnetnuke/Default.aspx

The install is alive and well.

But I've created a rule in my webconfig file so the beta.ucdvc.org. goes to the sub dir that dnn is installed.

Only problem is that when I go there I get to a error page.

Oh... I also have <customErrors mode="Off"/> in the dnn web.config thinking it would give me a great IIS error that would be a tiny bit more desicriptive than what you can see there now, but no luck.

The error is: DotNetNuke Error
    Windows Vista

with a button to "return to site"

After searching on the web for 2 days I've been able to find one other reference to the problem:
    http://web3.dotnetnuke.com/Communit.../107/threadid/356962/scope/posts/Default.aspx

But this particular instance of the problem is on GoDaddy and no one offers a solution.

Having said that my webconfig file rule looks like this:
    <rule name="betaucdvc" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)"/>
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^beta.ucdvc.org$"/>
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/<subDir>/DotNetNuke/{R:1}"/>
    </rule>
    And I have included beta.ucdvc.org in my domain pointer list.

Since the site is operational just not accessible through the desired domain, I'm thinking that it has something to do with my rule. But I don't want to polute anyone's thought stream with my conclusions since my conclusions have not gotten me to success with this.

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Have you tried this?

<action type="Rewrite" url="/betaucdvc/dotnetnuke/{R:1}"/>

3. <subDir> var in my initial comment is just that... so that's exactly what I have. :)

Just to be clear:

<match url="(.*)"/>
    <conditions>
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/betaUCDVC/DotNetNuke/{R:1}"/>
    </rule>

I also tried just incase I needed to be more explicit since it's a content management system. But now It's back to {R:1} cause this didn't work:

<match url="(.*)"/>
    <conditions>
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/betaUCDVC/DotNetNuke/Default.aspx"/>
    </rule>

I also <customErrors mode="Off"/> on the web.config file for DNN to see if I could get a less ambigious error. But no such luck.

4. Ray

Ray

Yeah the error is very misleading and not helpful at all. I suspect the issue is the rule you created. For now lets focus on that and not think about the fact that you set custom error off. That is a another issue that will only create obstacles on focusing the real problem for now which is the redirect/rewrite.

Go back to your IIS 7 manager and go back to your rule "betaucdvc"

In the field "Check for Input String" choose "Match Any".

Then in the patter type

^beta.ucdvc\.org$

5. I tried for the first time to connect today via IIS 7 Manager to do what you suggested. But had zero success. I submitted a ticket: 133-13932072-026F

I haven't heard anything back yet. I even pinged @Winhost on twitter with my ticket number to see if I could get some help connecting with IIS 7 Manager. So, I'm stuck.

If there is anything to "unstuck" me, that would be great. :)

I was able to make IIS 7 Manager work with: http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a628/using-the-microsoft-iis-70-manager.aspx

I'm going to now take the next steps. More to come.

On the IIS7 Manager under:

Check if input string: the options are:

Is a File
    Is not a File
    Is a Directory
    Is Not a Directory
    Matches the Pattern <set to this
    Does not match the pattern

No options for Match Any

I left it in Matches the Pattern, and made the pattern change you suggested, but the error is still showing. Any other suggestions?

I'm testing a theory, hope I'm right. If I am it will be useful for the forum. Either way if I fail or succeed it will be useful to the forum.

6. I have good news. I figured out what is happening (kinda). I installed the app one dir but or in other words /bucdvc instead of /bucdvc/dotnetnuke.

I had to go to canyonst.w03.Winhost.com/bucdvc/ in order install cause it would not let me do the installe with the url Rewrite address (beta.ucdvc.org).

Now I go to beta.ucdvc.org and it gets me to the dnn application but the ReWrite doesn't stick. So I can type in beta.ucdvc.org but the url that shows is http://canyonst.w03.Winhost.com/bucdvc/ which affects the branding that I need to have for this site.

The rule looks like this:

<rule name="bucdvc" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/bUCDVC/{R:1}" />
    </rule>

I just tried the pattern that you suggested: ^beta.ucdvc\.org$ but that didn't cause the URL Rewrite to stick.

Tried this but the URL Rewrite didn't stick either:

<match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^beta.ucdvc\.org$"/>
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/bUCDVC/Default.aspx" />
    </rule>

I'm reading this: http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a649/how-to-redirect-a-subdomain-to-a-subdirectory.aspx and I'm confused at to where it's placed. It says document root. So that's the Default.aspx for dnn inside /bucdvc?

7. OK, I'm in a better place that I was at the beginning but I can't get the url to do the re-write and stick.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Please help. :)

Anyone out there that can help?

8. Ray

Ray

Did you try with the action type to be...

<action type="Rewrite" url="/betaUCDVC/DotNetNuke/{R:1}>

9. So, I moved everything into a new dir bUCDVC and deleted betaUCDVC.

This is the rule as it stands right now. But if you go to beta.ucdvc.org the url isn't rewriten. It just turns into http://canyonst.w03.Winhost.com/bucdvc/ and I need it to be beta.ucdvc.org for branding purposes.:
    <match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^beta.ucdvc.org$" />
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/bucdvc/{R:1}" />
    </rule>

10. Ray

Ray

You have another redirect script that is overriding your rule. This is a 302 redirect. I tested your subdomain name beta.ucdvc.org and this is what I got.

GET / HTTP/1.1
    HOST: beta.ucdvc.org HTTP/1.1 302 Found
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
    Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 20:08:27 GMT
    Connection: close
    Content-Length: 1585

This is not the URL Rewrite. Check your coding and make sure any 302 redirects is dropped from your application.

11. It's great that you found that it's responding as a 302 redirect. Very awesome.

I did a ctrl+f and seached on Redirect and searched on beta, to see if I had an explicit Redirect or if I had beta.ucdvc.org and I had no luck find anything that indicates that.

I have the ucdvc.org site as it stands in production which if a user types in ucdvc.org or www.ucdvc.org they will get the ucdvcorg folder.

Not sure what's next...

Here is my entire config file:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!--
    For more information on how to configure your ASP.NET application, please visit
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=169433
    -->
    <configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    <modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true" />
    <rewrite>
    <rules>
    <rule name="ucdvc" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^ucdvc.org$" />
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/ucdvc/{R:1}" />
    </rule>
    <rule name="wwwucdvc" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^www.ucdvc.org$" />
    </conditions>
    </rule>
    <match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    </conditions>
    </rule>
    <rule name="hinttracker" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^hinttracker.com$" />
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/hinttracker/{R:1}" />
    </rule>
    <rule name="wwwhinttracker" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^www.hinttracker.com$" />
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/hinttracker/{R:1}" />
    </rule>
    <rule name="canyonstorm" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^canyonstorm.com$" />
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/canyonstorm/{R:1}" />
    </rule>
    <rule name="wwwcanyonstorm" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^www.canyonstorm.com$" />
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/canyonstorm/{R:1}" />
    </rule>
    </rules>
    </rewrite>
    </system.webServer>
    <system.web>
    <!--<compilation targetFramework="4.0"/>
    <pages controlRenderingCompatibilityVersion="3.5" clientIDMode="AutoID"/>-->
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Should I be able to have a subdomain that points a different folder like I have for beta.ucdvc.org?

Found something very interesting, a 302 redirect:

302 found (originally temporary redirect, but now commonly used to specify redirection for unspecified reason)

####

For unspecified reasons.

The fact is that in this config file it's unspecified.

Not sure how this bit of information can contribute to the solution...

OK, more testing:

I made a change to:

<match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    </conditions>
    </rule>

and I made it:

<match url="(.*)" />
    <conditions>
    </conditions>
    </rule>

And it works

So I need to confirm that sub domains of the same domain can be pointed to different virtual directories. If they can't please let me know so I can stop trying to fix this.

Thx.

12. OK, I did some more testing.

I pointed all the urls to the same dir, my DNN install dir. And as it turns out they all get a 302 redirect.

So there is a special configuration for DNN and I'm missing. It's not the same as for static html.

OK, all my configuration is up on the thread. What do I have to do so this works?

Should I be able to turn on failed request loging with IIS 7 manager? I can't get into IIS 7 manager from where I'm at right now, but I'm going to try it tonight and following the request to the failure if I'm allowed to turn it on for this problem.

Let me know.

It will be very cool to get through this problem and solve it... I'm hoping it's useful to the community.

13. Ray

Ray

No. I'm afraid this is not delegated to the user level.

14. OK, is it something that can be done by someone to which it is delegated? Meaning: Turn it on and make the request to beta.ucdvc.org and have it log on 302s and see what's happening? The value would be in see what steps it takes to get to the 302.

Let me know.

15. Ray

Ray

I don't think we can do this. This feature really takes up a lot of the servers resources.

16. Anything else that can be done?

17. Ray

Ray

If budget permits you can open another site account using a subdomain name instead of a domain name "beta.ucdvc.org".

This way you will get a root and you do not have to do any redirecting or rewriting.

I know this maybe something that you are not looking for but I can only say that I'll continue searching around and maybe perform some testing on my end to see what else I can come up with.

Now, one thing that you do need to do is to make sure you define the subdomain name in the control panel. So you'll need to go to the Site Info Manager and go to the button subdomain and create the subdomain beta.ucdvc.org. This will setup the correct header entries so that beta.ucdvc.org resolves to the correct root.

18. Is this still the case?

"So I need to confirm that sub domains of the same domain can be pointed to different virtual directories. If they can't please let me know so I can stop trying to fix this. "

Is this still the case with Winhost?

19. Ray

Ray

What exactly are you trying to do with your subdomain name? Some people get confused with a virtual directory and an application directory.