Domains and Subdomains

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by RockLobster, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Hello,

I'm one of those unfortunate souls that is getting messed around with Arvixe. So I'm jumping ship.

I've been trying to set up somethings but have lots of questions :(

First, is there anyway for my subdomain to actually be a subdomain? I don't want
    sub.mysite.com to always be redirected to mysite.com/sub . I want it to actually show up as sub.mysite.com all the time.

One it screws up some of my sites programming since now the sub isn't the domain. Which will have to be redone. Two, my root level in the ftp directory could be a giant mess!

I would really like to have in the FTP something that looks like:
    /root/myaccount/websites/website1/
    /root/myaccount/websites/website3/
    /root/myaccount/websites/website3/

Instead from what I can see, I'll have:
    /root/myaccount/website1
    /root/myaccount/website1/website2
    /root/myaccount/website1/website3

Also, since I have to do a bunch of domain stuff I want to make sure the sites are working before I port everything over (30 day trial thing).

How do I get an alias for other urls that i want. Right now my site is tied to say joeblo.com but I have another site rockjoe.com. How host this website without purchasing a new plan? And how do I set up my directory for it?

If anyone can help me out, that would be great! thanks.

Edit:

I've seen this thread https://support.winhost.com/kb/a649...main-to-a-subdirectory.aspx?KBSearchID=579462

but I don't want stick any code anywhere inside my app (other than the web.config). Especially since, what if someone goes to sub.mysite.com/blah/default.aspx this post above does not fix the issue because the code to redirect hasn't been placed in that page.

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Michael likes this.
  3. Thank you for that. I was able to get my domains rewriting no problem with that. Yet now there are two fairly major issues.

1) When I click on links inside my application, it now redirects from mysite.com to mysite.com/mysite.com/blah/
    2) Trying to send emails (with gmail) causes "The remote name could not be resolved: 'smtp.gmail.com'"

Any ideas?

Thanks.

4. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

You might have to update your site's links. How do they look programmatically? In other words if a person clicks on the link what does the link look like within your code?

I've seen this before and it usually means Gmail blocked our web server because it never received a log in from it. Try logging into your Gmail account (The one you're using to send out the email message from our web server) and see if Gmail sent you warning message into your inbox. If it asks you if you want to allow the web server to send through your email account. Make sure you allow it.

Michael likes this.