Configuration Error

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by mgd377, Mar 6, 2010.

1. I'm running into some problems with dotnetnuke. I successfully installed a new instance using the existing Winhost tutorials, but then I needed to copy everything I had on my local machine to Winhost. I copied all my files through FTP and then followed this guide http://forum.Winhost.com/showthread.php?t=58&highlight=sql+express, to setup my database. Now when I try to run my application, I get the following error messages:

Line 105: </system.webServer>
    Line 106: <system.web>
    Line 107: <machineKey validationKey="D8B6B8A6EE483AA193E38EF98D9061D7F7CA61FA" decryptionKey="F2331332844D8D6A4839294AC942C9E9D93BE7E0892594EA" decryption="3DES" validation="SHA1" />
    Line 108: <!-- HttpModules for Common Functionality -->
    Line 109: <httpModules>

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (E:\web\whatdidy\aldersgate\app_code\web.config line 140)

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (E:\web\whatdidy\aldersgate\app_code\web.config line 167)

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (E:\web\whatdidy\aldersgate\app_code\web.config line 226)

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (E:\web\whatdidy\aldersgate\app_code\web.config line 227)

I saw a post that was getting a similar error using an access database that said the problem was caused by not having an application starting point. My site has an application starting point configured.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. This problem appears to have been caused by multiple web.config files hiding somewhere in the application path. I deleted everything under my root directory and uploaded all of my files again from my local machine and the problem was solved. I think I accidentally hit the send button on my FTP client at the wrong time and sent a web.config to the server when I didn't mean to.

3. Glad it's working for you, and thanks for posting a follow-up.