asp asmx iis6 to iis7

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by seap, Mar 23, 2010.

1. I have an existing webservice that was designed in vs vb.net 2005 and runs on winxppro sp2 iis5. I'd would like to upload it to my Winhost ftp for production use. I've download, configured and sucessfully connected iis7 remote manager to my account. If I try to browse to the asmx file with the iis7 administrator I get an error. Can someone give me a quick set of instructions on how to (if needed) convert the webservice and also how to set up the webservice to work in Winhosts iis7 environment. Thanks

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 34: ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.
    Line 35: -->
    Line 36: <authentication mode="Forms">
    Line 37: <forms loginUrl="install/login.aspx">
    Line 38: <credentials passwordFormat="Clear">

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

The error means the folder you uploaded your web service into was not converted into an application folder. Log into your Winhost control panel, and navigate to your Site accounts Site Info Manager. Find the button labeled Application Starting Point and type the subfolder name to set it as an application folder. Try looking at this kb article.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a635/what-is-the-application-starting-point-tool.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015