What "location" to enter in publishing settings?

Discussion in 'FTP' started by condado, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hello,

I'm trying to publish my website files to my FTP site using Expression Web 4.
    Your KB instructions for publishing in Expression Web are not compatible with this newest version of EW (the menus and fields are completely different).

For example, EW4 publishing settings require a "directory" for my FTP site location. If my location is ftp://ftp.mysite.com, what do I enter in the "directory" field?

I am getting an error message in EW when trying to publish---and I suspect it is because I'm unable to correctly "guess" what the directory is. If that is not the problem, then I don't know what is (FTP is correct, and I believe I'm using the right user and password).

Thanks.

2. Ray

Ray

The directory should be left blank and it should automatically point you to your root when you connect with your FTP address. What is the full and exact error message you are getting? What is your FTP address?

3. Thank Ray...I just tried it using the my "secondary FTP" (containing the Winhost server: ftp.mysite.w02.Winhost.com ) --- and I was able to connect...Is that what I should have used in the first place -- or should it have worked with just ftp.mysite.com? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. It should work with ftp.domain.com, but only if the name servers for your domain point to us and any recent changes have propagated.

Whenever I have a reason to FTP to a user account I automatically use the secondary FTP URL for that reason - I know it will work regardless of any DNS issues.