Website Database Issue

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by pvenkat, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Hello,
    I am relatively new to Asp.net websites, though I have been programming in windows with C++/C# for a long time now.
    I am getting some errors setting up my website. Firstly I got the
    "The connection name localSQLServer was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty" error. I searched through this forums and as per some suggestions, set up this in the web.config like this :

<connectionStrings>
    <clear/>
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=s02.Winhost.com;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=****;User ID=****;Password=****" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
    </connectionStrings>

Now I am getting the error "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.aspnet_CheckSchemaVersion".

Ideally I did not want sql server to control the user login. I had user logins set up in the asp.net configuration in the website. I required my connection to db wherein I had a encryption method to store and retrieve password. If I am not mistaken, LocalSqlServer method seems to require some db schemas to be there as a default and uses the password supplied on the conneciton string.
    Any suggestions on how I can 'not' use the LocalSqlServer and use my own and still work with the user roles that I supply on the asp.net configuration ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    Prasad

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

I'm not quite sure on what you mean by "Ideally I did not want sql server to control the user login". You need to store the login somewhere, whether it be an XML file or a database the login has to be stored somewhere.
    Since your connection string does point to a SQL database then you will need to create the schema (objects/tables) on the database so that your forms authentication will work. Have you looked at this kb article for some guidelines on how to setup ASP.Net membership/roles provider?

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a619/how-to-configure-the-aspnet-20-membershiproles-provider.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Ok. I'll give that a try. Thanks much for your response.
    So doing it this way in the web.config means we write the actual password and send it across ? Is there any encryption in Asp.Net to prevent it from being accessed from an outside source ?

thanks,
    Prasad

4. Ray

Ray

If you mean the password to the SQL database then you really have nothing to worry about. Since the SQL server and web server are in the same network the connection string does not transverse over the Internet. It stays within the local area network.