Roles and users management

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by MikeDelp, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I have deployed my membership database and application data database on the server, then I have copied my application.

Now I have installed IIS 7 on my local computer in order to be able to do the remote management of users and roles (user creation is part of the service that I am going to execute for my customer).

When I access my site and try to open the ".NET Users" or ".NET Roles" feature, the following message is shown:

"This feature cannot be used because the default provider type could not be determined to check whether it is a trusted provider.
    You can use this feature only when the default provider is a trusted provider. If you are a server administrator, you can make a provider a trusted provider by adding the provider type to the trusted providers list in the Administration.config file. The provider has to be strongly typed ad added to the GAC (Global Assembly Cache)."

After this, it doesn't show anything in the existing Roles / Users list (but there are both and they work).

Please anyone can suggest me how to get over this issue? Have I really to do what the IIS message says? Is Administration.config a site-specific file or a machine-level file? Can I modify the GAC?

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Mike

2. I have now realized that my previous post didn't make that much sense (I'm new to configuring websites).
    What I hadn't understood when I wrote it, is that the trusted provider setup is an operation that has to be done on my local machine, and no hosting server configuration change is needed.
    Moreover, I have realized that in order to manage my application users, the best way is to create a proper application page, which uses the .NET Membership API. And so I did.
    I gave up busying myself on IIS configuration, because IIS in strictly local, while the user management application page is something I can use from every machine connected to the Internet.

3. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. I have read it. Clear and useful, I didn't know that ASP.NET Configuration Tool could be used against a remote hosted membership database.

Thanks!

5. Hi,
    Have you resolved the problem? I meet the same problem at first. Then I override the LocalSqlServer connection string, but when I set AspNetSqlMembershipProvider as the default provider for ".Net Users" by remote function of IIS Manager 7.0. The following message is shown:
    " The default provider could not be found " .
    What shall I do with this issue?
    Thanks
    Dong

6. Hi Dong,

sorry, seen your post just today. I'm restarting my web deployment activity after my notebook was stolen about ten days ago (just completed configuration setup on the new one).

I am not going to do new attempts on configuring and using IIS on my local machine. As I wrote in my previous posts, I have now an application page for the users management (which is pretty rough at the moment, but I'll improve it).
    If I am in the need for a more complete tool for managing users and roles, I will do what is explained in the link posted by Elshadriel (http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a619/how-to-configure-the-aspnet-membershiproles-provider.aspx), that is using ASP.NET Configuration Tool (which is a local tool that you can open from Visual Studio or Visual Web Developer) attached to my site's membership database.

7. Hi All,
    Just getting started again (after four year delay!) and the KB article above has a small error. It says that the default ASP.NET web site creates a default connectionString "LocalSqlServer" that needs to be edited to reflect the Winhost servers. My Visual Studio 2010 created a default connection "ApplicationServices" which should be edited to reflect the Winhost servers.
    Walt