Peer.js Peer Server

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by jaa17, Feb 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Can we, and how do we run the Peer Server of Peer.js on Winhost?

Peer Server Link:
    GitHub - peers/peerjs-server: Server for PeerJS

Peer.js link:
    PeerJS - Simple peer-to-peer with WebRTC

Why?

It is a great way to massively reduce the bandwidth.

Quote from the site:
    To broker connections, PeerJS connects to a PeerServer. Note that no peer-to-peer data goes through the server; The server acts only as a connection broker.

(Peer Server requires Node.js - does Winhost do that yet? I think Node.js is the way to go personally.)

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

We support Node.js, but I don't think you'll be able to run PeerJS because it looks like it runs on port 9000. That port is not open to you.

3. Thanks for the reply.

Since it is open source, I am guessing the port can be changed. I'll ask there on the peer.js site, but if I can change the port number, what ports are open to us on Winhost?

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Only the standard ports, 80 for HTTP and 443 for HTTPS.

5. Thanks for everyone here on this forum and the Winhost Support Ticket team for getting Node.js working on my Winhost website.

As for Peer.js Server, I believe it might work on port 80.

However, I do not know how to execute the commands:

$ npm install peer -g

and

$ peerjs --port 80 --key peerjs --path /myapp

here on my Winhost website. (I will also need to know how to turn it off for update and maintenance.)

I have tried to install the 64 bit version of WebDeploy from Microsoft onto my home PC. It installs perfectly, but then cannot be found in the Start menu or on my desktop.

Can anyone help me get Peer.js installed on my Winhost Website?

6. How? any KB articles on what exactly "node.js related" that you support @Winhost?

7. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

8. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

You would run those commands locally on your development machine. When deploying, you upload the files by FTP. So, in other words, you complete the project locally and have it running. Then you upload it to the server.

You usually use Web Deploy with Visual Studio, but you probably installed the command line utility. In that case, documentation on running Web Deploy (MSDeploy.exe) at the command prompt (Powershell should work too) can be found here:

Deploying Web Packages | Microsoft Docs