Is something - dot - mydomain.com not possible?

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by ianmc, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Just curious but when you purchase a domain name should anything before the name not point to it as well ?

So if I have mydomain.com then I can use www.mydomain.com and just plain mydomain.com

Should I also be able to use www.somethingelse.mydomain.com ? and thus

somethingelse.mydomain.com

Or doesn't it work that way? Well it doesn't work so I presume it doesn't work that way :rolleyes:

Cheers

ian

2. Ray

Ray

We only setup the true domain name for you which is by your example mydomain.com. Technically www.mydomain.com is a subdomain to mydomain.com but everyone is so familiar with www.mydomain.com that we put in our provisioning code mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com to be created when the account is first ordered. But any additional subdomain names must be created in the subdomain manager within the Site Manager of the control panel.

3. You do not use www in conjunction with another subdomain. So:
    somethingelse.mydomain.com - yes
    www.somethingelse.mydomain.com - no​

4. Ok, got that format to work, somethingelse.mydomain.com

Seems that you can only add a sub domain to the main websites domain name as trying
    somethingelse.otherdomain.com doesn't work

to clarify. if my website is called www.mydomain.com then I can setup a subdomain as subdomain.mydomain.com but if I also have another domain name pointing to my website mydomain2.com then doing subdomain.mydomain2.com doesn't work. Not important, just thought I might use it in the future.

5. Ray

Ray

Yes this could be done but you will need to use the domain pointer feature.

Generally the domain pointer feature was designed so that additional domain names can point to the site. Typically it is for marketing purposes as an example, mydomain.com, mydomain.net, and mydomain.biz. Some businesses would like to capture all 3 domain names for their site.

But if you have an account with mydomain.com, and you want a subdomain name with a completely different fully qualified domain name to point to mydomain.com, then you will use the domain pointer manager to achieve this.

6. Ah, interesting, ok i'll give it a try.

Thanks Ray.