How to deploy my webservice

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Zorglub, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Hi,

I wrote a signed webservice.
    On my local system, I just need to add the dlls to the GAC (using gacutil) each time I want to deploy a new version.

But I am not sure how to deploy it on Winhost.

Basically I have 2 project:
    - Webservice front end with just an asmx file that contains the following:
    Code:
    <%@ WebService Language="C#" Class="Service, MyService, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d0cb644de637345d" %>
    Each time I compile the second project, I have to change the PublicKeyToken and that's it.
    - Webservice actual code, signed. Each time I compile I have to get the PublicKeyToken and put it in the file in project one. (otherwise I get a parse error when compiling project one).

I am not sure how to deploy the dll in the GAC on WinUtils...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Sorry but we cannot install any assemblies (DLL files) directly on the server. It's a big security risk. Are these DLL files Bin deployable? Can it be uploaded to your applications Bin folder and have your application use it from there? Most ASP.Net assemblies are Bin deployable.

3. I will have to try.
    Kinda the first time I make a webservice.

I will probably have to remove the signing part.
    I would have preferred to keep the webservice in its signed dll to avoid people trying to access it as it will contains the data to access the database (account and password)

Or I could have them loaded from a config file as long as I can make sure no one will ever be able to download it directly.

Is there any way to prevent a file from being accessed by outsiders ?
    So they could not point at it directly for example.

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

You could place the files in one of these directories:

/bin
    /_database
    /App_Code
    /App_Data