DotNetNuke issues: file permissions even with "Full" trust

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by JimGale, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Hi - I followed all instructions in these forums including:
    http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a654/...e-5x-on-Winhost-servers.aspx?KBSearchID=87874

as well as read the other issues of other DotNetNuke installers and implemented their solutions of:
    1. changing Trust to "Full"
    2. removing the tcp: from the connection strings.

I also verified that the ftp settings (I know, not unix or vista) is 777 for the time being.

Yet nothing I do can prevent the Security Exception for writing a file. This is followed by information web pages that say for certain usernames (file level/os) to have permission: (note: (mysite) and (mydir) was anonyfied).

--begin: this is the copied message--
    Your site failed the permissions check.

Using Windows Explorer, browse to the root folder of the website ( E:\web\(mysite)\(mydir) ). Right-click the folder and select Sharing and Security from the popup menu. Select the Security tab. Add the appropriate User Account and set the Permissions.

If using Windows 2000 - IIS5

The {Server}\ASPNET User Account must have Read, Write, and Change Control of the virtual root of your website.

If using Windows 2003, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 and IIS6 or IIS7

The NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE User Account must have Read, Write, and Change Control of the virtual root of your Website.

If using Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 and IIS7.5

The IIS AppPool\DefaultAppPool User Account must have Read, Write, and Change Control of the virtual root of your Website.
    --end: this is the copied message--

--THIS is the current Exception I get--
    [SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]
    System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(Object demand, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean isPermSet) +0
    System.Security.CodeAccessPermission.Demand() +58
    System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity) +595
    System.IO.DirectoryInfo.Create() +15

Any further ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Do you have a URL so we can see this error message?

3. http://www.nowthinkbigger.com/dotnetnuke/

But after the initial messages, it reverts to a URLRewrite issue / NullException.

However, the initial error messages are clearly the culprits.

To Staff: You are welcome to redo/undo/change anything you like on this - I'm only getting this set up, there's nothing to preserve here yet.

Thanks,

4. Ray

Ray

Did you run the DNN SQL script against your database on our SQL server?

This error...

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Typically means that your DNN app just connected to a SQL database and the objects it is calling does not exist within the database.

5. I believe I did... by following the instructions and changing the references to the database to your servers, then simply running it allowing it to install.

Halfway thru the install process did it abort with file permission errors.

Then these show up after trying again.

6. Ray

Ray

If you do not have any important data on the database you are using for the backend database for your DNN I would suggest deleting it in the control panel and recreating it. Then deleting your DotNetNuke folder and re-upload it again to our server. Basically start from scratch. I don't think the original installation ran properly.

7. I actually did that before even posting a message (due to seeing that recommendation in another thread).

However, it still complained (even with full trust) of permission issues with creating a directory. Can you verify that all agents (NTAuthorityXXX whatever) can create a directory when initiated from an aspx via web request?

8. Ray

Ray

I checked your account and your ASPNet IUSR does have full Read/Write permission in your root and the folder dotnetnuke and all its content inside it.

The error I get when I pull up your site www.nowthinkbigger.com/dotnetnuke is..

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I don't know about a permission error because it is not what I am getting but this error is typically related to some of the database objects/table that your program cannot find.

I suspect it has something to do with the portal settings of your application that your database is suppose to keep track of..

DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettings..ctor(Int32 tabID, PortalAliasInfo objPortalAliasInfo) +48

I'm only guessing because DNN has so many parts and components to it that it is really hard to trace. The easiest way I can think of is to start from scratch again.

9. ok - I'll do that tonight... (I appreciate your help)...

Can I get your direct email so that once I get it ready to run for the first time, I'll email you - and you can see the first error (if there is one).

Or, I can capture it again and send it again which was this:
    [SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]
    System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(Obj ect demand, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean isPermSet) +0
    System.Security.CodeAccessPermission.Demand() +58
    System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity) +595
    System.IO.DirectoryInfo.Create() +15

Thanks,

10. Ray

Ray

You should be able to left click on my forum name and it will open an option to privately email me. Let me know when you've run through it and I'll be more then happy to look at it. To make things easier and avoid unnecessary postings make sure you include the links and any instructions on how to replicate it on my end. If possible also send me screenshots. This will help me getup to speed without posting more threads to get more details from you.