connectionStrings

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Ei Thu, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Hi

I have a problem with connectionString in my web.config file.
    After I restore my local database on Winhost, change the connectionString and this is the error I am getting.
    I have allow port number 1633 and 16330 as well.
    Can anyone advice please?

Server Error in '/modules' Application.
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

1) That looks like the error you get when you are trying to connect to a SQL Server Express database.

2) The port numbers are 1433 and 14330.

3) Here are instructions on how to find the MS SQL connection string information to your database:

1) Log into the Winhost Control Panel at https://cp.Winhost.com
    2) Click on the Sites tab.
    3) Click on the Manage link next to the site you want to manage.
    4) Click on the MS SQL Manager button.
    5) Click on the Manage link next to the database you want to manage.

The connection string information will appear at the bottom. Please remember to replace the ****** in the password section with your actual database password which is initially set to be the same as your site password. If you have forgotten it, use the Edit link next to Database Password to change it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
    Michael likes this.