confusion over 2 domains in 1 site

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by drchester3, May 26, 2011.

1. I one instance of DNN 5 Community Edition, installed in a “dnn_base” folder, in one Winhost account, with two child portals and I have problems with redirection. Based on your sample file, here is the code I am using in a default.aspx in the root of my site.

<%
    If InStr(UCase(Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME")), UCase("www.domainpointer2.com")) > 0 Then
    Response.Redirect("/dnn_base/sub-folder2")
    ElseIf InStr(UCase(Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME")), UCase("www.hostingdomain.org")) > 0 Then
    Response.Redirect("/dnn_base/sub-folder1”)
    End If
    %>

When I type the domainpointer2 into the browser, the result is a DNN error and I notice that the URL shown on the browser is:
    www.domainpointer2.com/dnn_base/sub-folder2
    If I type this manually into the browser, I get the same error. I expected that Winhost would substitute hostingdomain.org for domainpointer2.com but that doesn’t seem to be what happens.

However when I type the hostingdomain into the browser, the result is as desired:
    www.hostingdomain.org/dnn_base/sub-folder2

(www.hostingdomain.org by itself works just fine to bring up the first child portal.)

The problem seems to be the leading www.domainpointer2.com instead of www.hostingdomain.org. I tried using the complete www.hostingdomain.org/dnn_base/sub-folder2 in the redirect statement for domainpointer2, but that did not help.

Can you help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Fixed - found the problem

After 3 days of struggling, and posting my question on the forum, I found the problem and fixed it! The fix was in DNN, not Winhost or my code.

I had to add www.domainpointer2.com/dnn_base/sub-folder2 as a second portal alias in the site settings of DNN ... Now it's working great!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. That's great. Thanks for posting the fix, it will help someone else who runs into the same problem.