cannot create files in the Root

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by GygerPeter, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Hello

My Target is a redirection from the Root to a subfolder (petergyger.net/blogengine).

I read your article
    https://support.winhost.com/kb/a649/how-to-redirect-a-subdomain-to-a-subdirectory.aspx
    and try to create a file with this code snippet.

Regrettably it was not possible. To create a .asp or .html File or upload has the same result. It disappears.

Totaly i have two Problems:
    1. Can't create a File in the Root
    2. Redirect every Access to the Domain to the subfolder. I create a subdomain: blog.petergyger.net. But i can't see any way to redirect from the TLD to the subdomain.

Thank you in Advance for every help

Greetings

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

3. Thank you for the answer.
    For the Access Right Problem i open a ticket

But how can i define a subfolder for a subdomain?
    Sample:
    subdomain Name is "Donald.duck.net"
    The Folder for this subdomain is \\duck.net\Donald

4. Sorry - but your linke is not helpfull. There is no form for a Support ticket. Your Firm Needs 4 Days to answer a simple Question.
    After that i get a useless link. I'm not impressed...

5. I can't read the word "Ticket" or "Open Support Ticket" on the Website.
    Your URL has no use - sorry to say that.

How many days / weeks yor firm need to:
    - give a answer for my question about the subdomain
    - solve the Problem mit the Access Rights in the Root?

Attached Files:

6. You have to log in to submit a ticket. You can also always email support@.

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

7. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

You need to login into the support portal with your account's control panel credentials. Or login into the control panel. Click on "Support" link at the upper right corner.

You will then see the "Tickets" icon. Click it.

On the next page click on "start ticket".

Choose the support department and click on Continue.

Or you can contact us directory via email. Email us at support AT winhost.com

8. ComputerMan

Let me give you some information regarding the subdomain name too.

Subdomain names resolve to the root directory by default. See this blog article on how to add a subdomain name here: http://blog.winhost.com/how-to-add-a-subdomain-to-your-site/

Now if you want the subdomain name to resolve to the subdirectory. You can use URL rewrite rules to make the subdomain name auto point to the subdirectory. Use the following code below:

For example If I had a site account called: ComputerMan.com

I created support.ComputerMan.com in my account.

This auto points to the root. I don't want that. So I need to create a subdirectory and lets call it /support

So I need to use the following rewrite code in my root's web.config file to make my subdomain name resolve to the subdirectory.

Code:
    <rewrite>

<rules>

<rule name="support.ComputerMan.com" stopProcessing="true">

<match url=".*" />

<conditions>

<add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^support.ComputerMan.com$" />

<add input="{PATH_INFO}" pattern="^/support/" negate="true" />

</conditions>

<action type="Rewrite" url="\support\{R:0}" />

</rule>

</rules>

</rewrite>
    The following code above makes the URL look nice so if I go to support.ComputerMan.com I will see the site I placed in the subdirectory /support

By the way I got this code from IIS URL Rewrite – Hosting multiple domains under one site

Elshadriel and Michael like this.
  9. Hello

Thank you for your sample and the tipps.

"web.config" is (imo) part of the asp.net world. I use asp.net with the application blogengine in the subfolder blogengine.

Can i place a "web.config" file in the root of my Domain and the HTTP Protocol read that File, when i Access my Domain?
    Is there no other way? For example to configure the IIS? OR with HTML?

Greetings

10. ComputerMan

The IIS server reads that file. So if it sees your incoming domain of: blog.petergyger.net it will follow the redirect rules you placed in the web.config located in the root.

You can also use IIS Manager to set up the rules. See our knowledge base article on how to connect to your site via IIS Manager here: https://support.winhost.com/kb/a628/using-the-microsoft-iis-manager.aspx Once connected you can use the URL Rewrite module to create the same rules. The rules you create in IIS Manger will be saved in the web.config file.

Michael likes this.