SMTP settings in DotNetNuke

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by cubeconsulting, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Hi there,

new to Winhost. I installed DotNetNuke 5.0.5 successfully but now I am struggling to get the smtp setting right. What mail server should I fill out and can I send anonymously? I followed the tutorial to use Google apps mail but in another place I read one can not send e-mail through Google Apps..?

Any help and positive thoughts are much appreciated!

Aad

2. Ray

Ray

I'm a little confused, on exactly what SMTP server you want to use.

If you are using our SMTP server you should be using the SMTP server we provided you. It should have this format "mail.mydomain.com". This is assuming your domain name is pointing to our DNS servers using our mail server.

You will also need to pass SMTP authentication. That is the full email address of the POP account and the password associated to it.

3. Hi Ray,

I am sorry, I am more than a little confused myself.. DotNetNuke has a number of modules including feedback forms that will use the hosting provider's smtp server to send mails to me and the web visitor. I tried the default settings when I first started using Winhost but no dice. Of course I had not redirected the dns settings so that would make sense..
    Consequently I followed the Google Apps mail tutorial on Winhost.com only to use Gmail to send e-mails from the website only to read somewhere else this would not work since Gmail uses encrypted mail or something to that extent.
    Now I want to revert to the basic settings and use the Winhost default mail server settings but of course I lost those settings.. Can you help me out with this? Lot of text probably for a very simple request..
    Thanks a mill Aad

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Ray,

I think the devil is in the details.. I have registered my domain name with Leaseweb, in their DNS settings I have pointed mail.cubeconsulting.nl to the ip address 64.79.170.145, which I found in the Google Apps tutorial on your site. Is all of this correct? Another bit of information, I can only send e-mails from Smartermail to e-mail addresses listed in the smartermail addressbook.. this can't be true?!

5. Ray

Ray

What is your domain name? I'll check the whois record and see how you got your domain setup. I have a feeling all this issue is cause because you do not have the name servers pointing to Winhost. DNS and how the Internet resolves domain names can be fairly complicated. I often suggest to make things easy, is to have the domain name use the Winhost DNS servers. it saves a lot of time and heart ache.

6. Hi Ray,

Thanks for bearing with me on this one. My domain name is www.cubeconsulting.nl, hosted by Leaseweb, cubeconsulting.nl points to 94.75.235.140, which is my colocation server with Leaseweb, www.cubeconsulting.nl is now pointing to 96.31.35.33 (Winhost right?) and mail.cubeconsulting.nl points to 64.79.170.145 (your mail server?). I have set up google apps mail within the dns/mx settings at Leaseweb, that should not change.
    Hope this helps! Thanks Aad

7. P.S. Do you think I will be able to send e-mails to other people outside of my smartermail addressbook once the smtp settings are modified?

8. Ray

Ray

I think for simplicity sake you contact your registrar to point to our DNS servers.

ns1.Winhost.com
    ns2.Winhost.com
    ns3.Winhost.com

Because from what I understand you want to completely use Winhost's email servers. As it stands right now even though mail.cubeconsulting.nl is resolving to our email server, the MX record is pointing to Google.

cubeconsulting.nl MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = aspmx2.googlemail.com
    cubeconsulting.nl MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = aspmx3.googlemail.com
    cubeconsulting.nl MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = aspmx4.googlemail.com
    cubeconsulting.nl MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = aspmx.l.google.com
    cubeconsulting.nl MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = alt1.aspmx.l.google.com
    cubeconsulting.nl MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = alt2.aspmx.l.google.com

And base off these conversations we been having, it doesn't seem like you are familiar with how DNS works and how the Internet resolves domain names and emails. It is up to you. If you can find a certified network administrator, they should be able to fix the settings on what ever DNS server you are currently using, other then that I suggest you make it easy on yourself and have your domain name use our DNS servers since all your A and MX record is already setup correctly to use all the features we provide you.