Sending mails from Gmail through WinHost SMTP server

Discussion in 'Email' started by nordique, Feb 25, 2010.

1. I have difficulties setting up Gmail to use my domain's SMTP server as outbound server when sending mails from @mydomain.com address. This is something I used a lot with my previous hosting.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/send-mail-from-another-address-without.html

The error message I keep getting is "Server response: Remote server does not support TLS code(500)". Is there any way to turn on TLS support for my SMTP server?

Thank you,
    Nordique

2. Ray

Ray

I'm afraid our SMTP server does not support transport layer security.

3. Any plans for allowing gmail?

I just switched to Winhost and I experience the same frustration :(

"Server response: Remote server does not support TLS code(500)"

I use gmail for all my email-domains - except now I don't seem to get it working with the domain hosted on Winhost.

Are there any plans for allowing your customers to send emails via gmail?

Best regards

Houlind

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Ray

Ray

The problem is that Gmail requires an encrypted connection, because we are a shared hosting environment and we host a larger number of different domain names, we cannot support encrypted email connections.

5. There is no plan for us to support TLS.

Just to clarify for others reading this, that doesn't prevent you from hosting your mail with Google, just prevents you from sending Google hosted mail using our SMTP.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

You should be able to connect to GMail SMTP

just set this property in your email code, EnableSsl, to true

7. @frankc ... where is the "EnableSsl" setting? Is this an option we can set through the Winhost panel, or is this in the gmail settings?

8. Ray

Ray

This is in the applications web.config file. You will need to open your applications web.config file using some kind of text editor. Scroll down until you see the section mailSettings and you code the necessary properties. You may want to look at this link for the mailSettings element within ASP.Net.

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/072606-1.aspx

9. My website with Winhost (http://www.tradingstockmarkets.com/) is based on the blogengine and it sends emails via gmail without any problem. I'm preparing another website to be hosted here. So far the code below works fine on my home server:

Dim SmtpServer As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient()
    SmtpServer.Credentials = New Net.NetworkCredential("[email protected]", "xxxx")
    SmtpServer.Port = 587
    SmtpServer.Host = "smtp.gmail.com"
    SmtpServer.EnableSsl = True

Dim Mail = New System.Net.Mail.MailMessage()
    Try
    Mail.From = New System.Net.Mail.MailAddress(Request.Form.Get("email"), Request.Form.Get("email"), System.Text.Encoding.UTF8)

Mail.To.Add("[email protected]")
    Mail.Subject = Request.Form.Get("Subject")
    Mail.Body = Request.Form.Get("Comment") & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & Request.Form.Get("Name")
    SmtpServer.Send(Mail)
    Catch ex As Exception
    MsgBox(ex.ToString())
    End Try

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015