Question About Support for Classic ASP AND Access Database

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Vandoor, Dec 22, 2020.

1. I have a Windows shared hosting account at GoDaddy and they are in the process of "upgrading" to Plesk. Unfortunately, when they have forced this upgrade on me in the past on other accounts my Classic ASP/Access Database applications stop working and GoDaddy have been unable to help restore them.

I am trying to confirm my application will work here. It is set up as described below...

- Access database in a folder named access_db that is located in the root of my website
    - I use a connection string like this,
    connPrograms_STRING = "DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("../../access_db/customer/data.mdb") & ";PWD=AD43GT66SS"

1) will this work on this host?
    2) where will I put my Access database?
    3) how will my connection string need to be changed (other than the path)?
    4) will I be able to change permissions on my Access database folder or wait for tech support to do it?
    5) will I be able to set up everything without tech support assistance?
    6) any gotchas associated with this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

1) Yes.
    2) Anywhere you like in your hosting space. I would recommend the /App_Data or /_database folder since it's protected by IIS and Request Filtering.
    3) The driver you use is dependent on the version of the Access database you're using. Nothing needs to be changed unless you upgrade the database version.
    4) Permissions cannot be changed, but your application will have full read/write access. If it gets messed up somehow, contact our support department at https://support.winhost.com to reset it. That's why I recommend placing the database in the one of the directories above to safeguard it.
    5) Yes, but if you need help, just contact us. We offer 24/7 support by email.
    6) No gotchas, but if you run into any problems, just contact us, and we'll work with you to resolve any issues.