Point Winhost Domain to massagebook.com/mysite

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by smatthews1999, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Can anyone give me the steps involved to accomplish this?

I have a domain I just registered with Winhost and I need to point it to a specific URL.

for example I have "mymassage.com" and I need to point it to "massagebook.com/mymassage"

I've looked into how to do this with a root script, A records and CNAME records, but I don't quite get it.

TIA

2. If massagebook.com isn't hosted here (and it doesn't look like it is), the easiest way to do what you want to do would be with redirect on the server here, where mymassage.com is hosted (as you suggested, a script in the root directory). The drawback is you'd need a site associated with the domain to do that, so you'd be paying for a site you weren't really using (unless you wanted email or some other services for the domain).

You can't do HTTP redirection with DNS - so you don't want to do anything with A records or CNAMES. (Well, technically you can do a redirection that way, but it's incorrect, so doing it will usually introduce unwanted problems or complications. I wouldn't advise it.)

3. Thanks for your response.

Basically I want to redirect a domain I have managed at Winhost (mymassagesite.com) to a third party service site (massagebook.com). You said this is not possible with DNS forwarding. I have amended my root script to redirect my site to the third party site. This is the best (only) way to do this?
    Thanks

4. It's possible, it's just not recommended. It's not what DNS is supposed to do.

CNAMES are for subdomains, so technically you could set up a CNAME for www.mymassagesite.com and point it to the IP on the other server. But then traffic that leaves "www" off of the URL hits a dead end.

If I was trying to accomplish what you are, with the domains on different servers, I'd do it the way you're doing it, with a redirect file at mymassagesite.com. It might feel "hacky," but it's probably the most effective way to go in this situation.