FTP hangs at the "dir"

Discussion in 'FTP' started by winhostuser, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Has anyone ever experienced the following situation where ftp hangs like this:

C:\>ftp
    ftp> open ftp.XXXXXXXX.w01.Winhost.com
    Connected to ftp.XXXXXXXX.w01.Winhost.com.
    220-Microsoft FTP Service
    220 Winhost.com FTP
    User (ftp.XXXXXXXX.w01.Winhost.com:(none)): XXXXXXXX
    331 Password required for XXXXXXXX.
    Password:
    230-Welcome
    230 User logged in.
    ftp> dir
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection.

I noticed that I couldn't get in via MS Visual Web Dev so I checked it but putting in the FTP commands above. I got logged in but no folder listing ...?????? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

What FTP login are you using? For now make sure you use the main site FTP login and not an additional FTP login.

3. I just deleted all of the other FTP accounts and went in with the main FTP account and it still freezes at the "dir" ...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\j>ftp
    ftp> open ftp.XXXXXXXX.w01.Winhost.com
    Connected to ftp.XXXXXXXX.w01.Winhost.com.
    220-Microsoft FTP Service
    220 Winhost.com FTP
    User (ftp.XXXXXXXX.w01.Winhost.com:(none)): XXXXXXXX
    331 Password required for XXXXXXXX.
    Password:
    230-Welcome
    230 User logged in.
    ftp> dir
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection.

4. Ray

Ray

Can you give the domain name to your account so I can test it on my end?

5. leappsco.w01.Winhost.com

6. Ray

Ray

Odd I didn't have any problems getting into your FTP site. Check what conneciton mode you are using (Passive mode or Active Port mode). Try switching if from one to the other.

7. I tried it via PASSIVE and non-PASSIVE in visual web developer 2008 express and got this message (attached). Do you know the FTP command line command to switch back and forth? j .. p.s. it was working yesterday with no unusual behaviour ... wierd, I know .. j

Attached Files:

8. [solved] - ftp problem solved

The problem was my AT&T connection client program must have been blocking one of the ports. I am able to get through via regular Wi_Fi connection.

9. Ray

Ray

Unfortunately I don't know how to switch MS DOS to use Active Port mode. I think it maybe controled by the IE browser but I haven't really tested that out. Maybe it will be better for now to use a FTP client such as FileZilla. Its free to download from the Internet and it has a lot of features that can easily switch from Active Port mode to Passive mode, from ASCII to Binary connection.