Creating subdomain of pointed domain?

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by BlueEyedDev, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I'm curious how to do this. Let's say I have the following set up already via Winhost CP:

Root (site) domain:
    rootdomain.com

Domain Pointer:
    pointeddomain.com

I want to create a subdomain:
    mysubdomain.pointeddomain.com

How would I go about doing this? Would I simply create an A-Name entry in the DNS manager?

I am very comfortable with URL Rewrite so if that is involved let me know - thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Will also use the domain pointer tool to add mysubdomain.pointeddomain.com. This is because you will need to create the header name so that mysubdomain.pointeddomain.com points to the correct root.

3. Ok did that - is the A-record required as well?

4. Ray

Ray

What name server is pointeddomain.com is pointing to? If it is to Winhost, there's no need since the A records for all domain pointers are created on our DNS servers. Obviously if is it using another DNS server, then you will need to create the A record for mysubdomain.pointeddomain.com to point to the correct IP address.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Just closing the loop - simply adding the domain pointer was enough. I use a URL Rewrite rule in the site root to rewrite all requests to "subdomain.pointeddomain.com" to a subfolder of the root, e.g. /pointeddomain/subdomain (and a similar rule to point requests to pointeddomain.com to /pointeddomain)

Working great.

Thanks Ray!